POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Tower 55K : Re: The Tower 55K Server Time
4 Oct 2024 09:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Tower 55K
From: Ken
Date: 5 Apr 1999 15:23:11
Message: <3708FE5D.F1927C69@pacbell.net>
JM wrote:

> Hi, I have been working on this for a couple of weeks.  What should I
> improve besides making the water more obvious and lowering the specular
> value on the light.  In the picture that am copying, there is a big
> forest of dead trees in the background....I need something to replace
> that. =]
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Joey Mendoza

 It is an excellent piece of work. Without the luxury that you have of seeing
the original picture for comparison suggestions are a shot in the dark. If
your intent is to perfectly mirror the original there is little any of us can
offer as accurate advice since we don't know what you are aiming for.

My first impression though is that it is way too flat. The far fence line
and large gates appear as if shadows on a wall. They need more depth perhaps
by darkening them against the color of the fog. In a heavily fogged in scene
like this trees should pose no real problem. Since you could not make out
any detail in a setting like this a simple wall with an image map of a
sillouetted tree line would be acceptable. Just make sure it is set back far
enough that the fog mostly obscures it and that it adds some depth to the fog
and the impression of the scene. Perhaps a couple of real 3D trees up close to'
the fence with branches overhanging the fence would be enough to let you get
away with an image map solution for the rest.

 A little more contrast to all of the colors would bring this image out of 2d
into 3d. Gentle shading differences can make a big difference without strongly
affecting the overall appeartence. Maybe rely a bit more on ambient finishes
instead of diffuse finishes if you aren't already. Reflective surfaces would
only reflect fog so are not recommended in a scene of this nature if you are
looking for a way to add depth.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net