POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : question for you photon fans... : Re: question for you photon fans... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question for you photon fans...
From: Ken
Date: 5 Apr 1999 11:30:54
Message: <3708C7F3.7E459AE5@pacbell.net>
Ken wrote:

> Nathan Kopp wrote:
> >
> > I personally don't like the way I'm using the 'density' keyword to specify
> > photon density.  Usually, when you say density, you want to give a
> > items-per-area(or volume) value, not a length value.  So... what would be a
> > better keyword?  Would 'spacing' be good? (since you are giving the spacing
> > between photons)  I do not want to switch the value to a real density, because
> > right now photon 'density' and gather 'radius' are directly related (linearly),
> > making it easy to test with a low number of photons and switch to a large
> > number with predictable results (my 'phd' variable, for those who've looked at
> > my source).
> >
> > So... is 'spacing' good?  Any other ideas?
> >
> > -Nathan
>
>  Spacing has an unlikable quality that is hard to pin down but it doesn't
> sound right to me.  Take your pick of intensity, quantity, spread, proportion,
> measure, lumens, wattage, BTU's, lux, or candle power. I would have to get
> out my physics books to dig up any more related terms.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

  Upon further reflection (no pun intended) the word "dispersion" seems quite
suited to the description of the function. The word "Spread" may offer a
short yet accurate description as well.
 I don't think "Quantity" is an accurate term since the density is only one
factor that determines the number of photons shot and the way they are grouped.
There is another one "Grouping".

How about Herd_Count ? Flock_Number ? Seating_Arrangement ?