POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : FAQ: Questions for Nathan's Photon Patch. : Re: FAQ: Questions for Nathan's Photon Patch. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:31:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FAQ: Questions for Nathan's Photon Patch.
From: Peter Popov
Date: 25 Mar 1999 05:16:13
Message: <36fb0c48.7670376@news.povray.org>
Hi Ken.

I think I can answer this one for you.

>8.) Are there any object types that are excluded from working with
>   the photon patch, photon specific, properties ?
>   Of the different object types the patch seems to provide the least
>   functionality with are triangles and meshes, it works properly with
>   procedural primitives, and seems to really choke on CSG constructs
>   like a shape made out of intersecting planes. The last is one that
>   gave me the runaway photon counter mentioned above. A box trimmed
>   with an intersecting plane works well but if you use all planes to
>   form a refracting object it goes nuts and no parameter will change
>   the way it reacts. This is of course a one object, one time, situation
>   that I have not confirmed with other constructions or construction
>   CSG types.

Photons are shot at an object's bounding box. POV is at a loss when
trying to automatically bound an intersection of planes (or any other
infinites) only. When you intersect a box with a plane, POV knows for
sure that the resulting object will be bounded by the aforementioned
box. The solution is to manually bound your CSG of planes. It will
speed up the render, too.

---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700