POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My first photonmapped image : Re: My first photonmapped image Server Time
4 Oct 2024 13:10:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My first photonmapped image
From: ingo
Date: 24 Mar 1999 15:18:02
Message: <36f9487a.0@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Mika heeft geschreven in bericht <36f8ab60.0@news.povray.org>...
>  This is my first test image using photon mapping.

>Number of photons shot:           391696
>Number of photons stored:         713572
>Priority queue insert:        2887327082
>Priority queue remove:        1215884048
-
>Smallest Alloc:                 28 bytes   Largest:          4096024
>Peak memory used:         33023282 bytes
-
>Time For Parse:    0 hours  3 minutes  56.0 seconds (236 seconds)
>Time For Trace:    6 hours 21 minutes  48.0 seconds (22908 seconds)
>    Total Time:    6 hours 25 minutes  44.0 seconds (23144 seconds)

I think your rendertime can be reduced. The priority queue remove value is
very high, if I understood Nathan well, these are photons (or caustics) that
are calculated but not used. This increases parsetime and rendertime.
When I set up a one light, one object scene, in global_settings I set  the
photons radius to an angle of say 0.05. Then in the object I set the density
to 0.1, followed by a test render. If queue remove value is high I make the
density value bigger. If the remove value is not shown I reduce the density
value. Make the remove value as low as possible.
To improve the quality (sharpness) of the caustics, devide the radius and
density values by two. Then tweak again. The parse time and memory use will
go up, the rendertime will stay the same (almost)
Continue these steps until you are satisfied, run out of memory or until
UVPOV gives up (caustics are gone).
If you change the lightposition or the camera position much, you can start
tweaking again. Also when you change the thickness of the glass.

ingo
--
Met dank aan de muze met het glazen oog.