POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Give ma a P! (hotons) : Re: Give ma a P! (hotons) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Give ma a P! (hotons)
From: Equiprawn
Date: 18 Mar 1999 16:05:47
Message: <36f16aab.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

>But the outer shapes are too
>monotonous where no light hits them. Perhaps just a bit of fill lighting...

I want to try and keep the number of lights low or else the reflected
caustics become a bit too hard to see (inside the circle anyway) - there is
only one at the moment. I had been thinking of changing the outer crystals.
They look dark because they have a low diffuse setting, and are reflecting
only blackness around them. As you can see from the image, the central
crystal has many more facets than the outside ones. I was thinking of
changing the outer crystals to the more faceted style. This would give more
phong hi-lights from the overhead lights, but would also make many small
patches of reflective caustics. Would this harm the image? I might do a test
and post the results.

I'm glad you liked the central crystal. I modeled it from a little pewter
statue of a dragon that my sister has. The dragon is holding a small crystal
in one of it's claws. There is a little piece of reflecting rainbow coloured
foil under the crystal, and when you look at it, the colours you see seem to
change. I used the same trick here. As you look from 90 degrees to 0 degrees
along the crystal in my scene, the colours shift from red, orange, yellow,
green, blue, indigo to violet. In the model my sister has though, yo can see
about three or four different colours at any one time - the glass they used
must have a lower ior value than I used (1.463). I might change that too.

Thanks again for your praise and comments!

Equiprawn