POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Caustics, caustics... : Re: Caustics, caustics... Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caustics, caustics...
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 17 Mar 1999 19:46:18
Message: <36f04cda.0@news.povray.org>
Equiprawn > wrote in message <36f03a21.0@news.povray.org>...

>I might know what this is. If you fill a clear glass with water, and look
at
>the top where the water's surface meets the glass, you will see that the
>surface doesn't stay flat, but in fact curves up slightly. This happens
>because of water tension, and in fact happens with all liquids, AFAIK. The
>only exception I know of is liquid mercury, which curves down instead of
up.

No-no, that's not what I meant (the whiskey surface actualy _does_ curve,
BTW)
I meant that there shouldn't be such a big gap between the inner surface of
the glass and the whiskey; I have modeled quite a few glasses (and stared at
them them in Real Life :) and they look different.
Let's see if I can explain this... Beacause of refraction or total internal
reflection, the walls of the glass should look very thin, i.e. the colour of
the liquid should extend all the way to the outer surface of the glass, even
if the glass is quite thick. The fact that the liquor in my image is so
clearly separated from the outer surface of the glass gives the impression
that the glass doesn't refract...
Hope you undesrtood. If not, feel free pour yourself a drink and check it
out. It's Black Velvet whiskey, if you want a precise test ;)

Margus