POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Caustics, caustics... : Caustics, caustics... Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:11:46 EDT (-0400)
  Caustics, caustics...
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 17 Mar 1999 14:40:53
Message: <36f00545.0@news.povray.org>
OK, you've already seen caustics with blobs, trees, birds... But have you
seen the caustics of a fine glass of liquor...? You have? Well, have some
more!
This damn thing took 30 minutes to parse and 17 hours to trace on my
PII416/64MB - mainly because reflections, but also because I turned on
reflected caustics on the glass (you _can_ see them, can't you?). Also, AA
had to be set to 0.1
For my next feat, I'll add some ice cubes (with media interior, reflections
and caustics), add reflections/reflected caustics to the whiskey and remove
"ignore_photons" from the glass. Then I'll take a nice 3-year vacation in
Burundi and hope to see it ready when I get back...

The glass itself is simple CSG, needs some work. I feel there is something
wrong with the refractions (at least upper part, where top of the wiskey
meets the glass).

It used 481,317 photons (overkill?), density .015, radius .15,2,.15. Whiskey
had refraction on, the glass had refrection & reflection on and
ignore_photons set.
I can only hope that the bright splotches are caustics from the
ornamentation on the glass.

Margus

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: