POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help! Coloured reflections and Photons : Help! Coloured reflections and Photons Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Help! Coloured reflections and Photons
From: Equiprawn
Date: 17 Mar 1999 03:32:40
Message: <36ef68a8.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Firstly, thank you Nathan, thankyouthankyouthankyou! An amazing patch, the
aplications of which has no limits, as demonstrated by the recent flurry of
photon map testing scenes.

Spider recently posted a photon map testing image that had reflective
coloured cylinders casting coloured reflections. I am working on a scene to
test reflective caustics too, but I have hit a problem. The scene consists
of coloured, reflective, faceted crystals (they are meshes composed of
triangles and smooth triangles). Here is an example of the red reflective
texture I am using:

#declare Mirrormetal_Red =
   material  // Mirrormetal Red

      texture

         pigment
         {
            color rgb <1.0, 0.0, 0.0>
         }
         finish
         {
            ambient 0.0
            diffuse 0.079133
            phong 1.0
            phong_size 60.263333
            metallic 1.0
            reflection 0.8
         }
      }
   }

The photon settings I am using are:

(Global Settings)
  photons

    gather 20, 100
    radius 0.1, 1 //[, <step size>]
    //[jitter <jitter amount>]
    //[autostop <angle>]
  }

(Object Settings)
  photons {density .02
           reflection on
           ignore_photons
           //photons_pass_through
           }

However, when I render the scene, the reflective caustics I get aren't
coloured, they are just plain white (I am using a white light to illuminate
the scene). What am I doing whong?

Thanks,

Equiprawn