POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : B/W rendering from POV-Ray *is* possible! : Re: More and more B&W (or: gamma revisited) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:12:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More and more B&W (or: gamma revisited)
From: Lance Birch
Date: 17 Mar 1999 03:27:00
Message: <36ef6754.0@news.povray.org>
The problem you're all running into is with the coloured lights... They WILL
not convert, no matter what you do, because coloured lights cause the
diffuse and specular areas of objects to have different exposures.

The problem is not with gamma.

Try this for me, place a shiny yellow sphere in a scene with a red light on
the left side, a green light at the camera and a blue light on the right
side.

Because of the coloured lights, you can't simulate the picture using the
"converted pigments" method.  The colour version when converted to greyscale
is nothing like the "converted pigments" version because the colour
version's lights affect the exposure of the surface of the sphere, where the
converted pigments method doesn't because all the lights are really just
intensities of white.

See?

--
Lance.