POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : An inside/outside test for triangles mesh : Re: An inside/outside test for triangles mesh Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An inside/outside test for triangles mesh
From: Ron Parker
Date: 8 Mar 1999 12:51:14
Message: <36e40e12.0@news.povray.org>
On 8 Mar 1999 12:22:02 -0500, Nieminen Mika <war### [at] cctutfi> wrote:
>Ron Parker <par### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:
>: It's been done before, in POV 2.2 with heightfields
>: which at that time didn't have an inside either.  But I wouldn't
>: count on it working from all angles.
>
>  What do you mean? I just tested this and it seemed to work just fine:
>http://www.cs.tut.fi/~warp/hftest.jpg

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.  Height fields now have a well-defined
inside, but in POV 2.2 (or maybe it was 2.0... that's the problem with us
old farts, we're so forgetful...) they did not.  That didn't keep people from
using them as clipping objects, though.  There was even a demo scene in the
official distribution showing one such use.  It just didn't always
work from every angle.  The same now appears to be true of mesh objects.