POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The REAL new millennium... : Re: The REAL new millennium... Server Time
4 Oct 2024 23:14:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The REAL new millennium...
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 8 Mar 1999 05:25:19
Message: <36e3a58f.0@news.povray.org>
Andrew Cocker wrote in message <36e304dc.0@news.povray.org>...

>Ken wrote in message <36E### [at] pacbellnet>...
>
>> It's human nature to do so. You can't take that away from us.
>

>Well then, I guess I'm inhuman. And I don't think that the human race has
got a great deal
>to be proud of, except it's ability to paper over the cracks. Seriously
though, I realise
>I have a particularly warped view when compared to that of the masses, but
Y2K is really
>just another day like any other. Being totally non-religious also, I can't
celebrate for
>those reasons either. Please don't think I begrudge anyone the right to
have a good time
>and rejoice in being alive. You just dont need an excuse to do so.

I agree that you don't need an excuse to party, rejoice, whatever.
The thing is: To do so, you need a certain state of mind (ever felt like
partying while standing in the rain, waiting for the bus at 7:00 am? hmmm,
probably, if you just spotted your new girlfriend coming your way ;-)
And for most people it is a lot easier to reach that "party-state" together
with many others: If everyone is in a festive mood, it's just simpler to
join.
And: For most people it is also a lot more fun to party together with as
many others as possible. The 2000-shift is just a very convenient signal to
coordinate the partying all over the globe :-)

Johannes.