POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Preview Mode for POV-Ray : Re: Preview Mode for POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Preview Mode for POV-Ray
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 1 Mar 1999 06:40:44
Message: <36da7cbc.0@news.povray.org>
Jim Kress schrieb in Nachricht <36d9d4f2.0@news.povray.org>...
>The only annoying thing I run into when using POV-ray is the inability to
>preview my scenes.  I spend a seemingly endless amount of time rendering,
>re-rendering, re-rendering,... just to get the camera and lighting position
>I need.
>
>OpenGL offers an easy to implement, raster scan technology that could be
>(easily?) implemented in POV-Ray.  It would be ideal for generating
previews
>so the user could determine camera, lighting, etc and then do the final
>render with the ray-tracer.  If I knew how to do C++, I'd do it myself but
>since I don't, is there anyone out there who would like to add this
>IMMENSELY useful feature to POV?

Like others said, OpenGL is not available on all platforms and previews like
that should really be done in a modeller. An OpenGL modeller would be Breeze
or Calimax. Why don't you try those? Of course, they are Windows only, but
most modellers are platform specific anyway.

The only thing easier to implement would be a wireframe preview, but the you
could just as well use the existing POV-Ray preview modes. They are good
enough to preview placement and lighting. And they are fast enough.
--
Rudy Velthuis