POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : java : Re: java Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: java
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 23 Feb 1999 23:36:32
Message: <36d381d0.0@news.povray.org>
Re distributed computing of POV:

For massive render projects, why not just use the existing "start row" /
"end row" ability to have
each machine, running existing POV binaries of the proper flavor, render an
assigned stripe?
I'd just as soon put such effort into a Win32 native tool to automate this.
For example, Volenteers run a "server" application, and the rendermaster
then assigns stripes to all servers, and gives them more work when complete.
In exchage the doners get access to a private web site to see the latest
creations first.  The render doner applet would run as a tray icon, and
users could use that to "freeze" if low priority wasn't enough and he really
wanted the background activity to stop; "quit" in case he changed his mind
or ran into problems, and "view" so he could find out what was going on.

--John