POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Worn metal texture (again) : Re: Worn metal texture (long reply, sorry) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 21:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Worn metal texture (long reply, sorry)
From: Martin Magnusson
Date: 21 Feb 1999 08:44:36
Message: <36d00dc4.0@news.povray.org>
>a color of <.2,.2,.2> with 50 diffusion and
>reflectivity up to about 65 can give a very metallic look

OK, thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

>As to you example, it's hard to guess being that it's surrounded by
>black with no other objects around it

Actually there is a background - one of the standard sky spheres (it shows
in the two previous versions I posted to the group). However I put a black
plane in behind the mask as I didn't really like the look of the sky sphere.
The difference in the reflection is mostly obvious in the lower partof the
mask, there you can see i rather sharp border where the backplane start
showing in the reflection. In the end, though, the mask won't just be
hanging in an empty sky, so maybe I should try to model some objects around
it at least.

>the edges to the damage/rust(?) in the mid to upper part of the helm
>have too much sharpness without that edge being justified by surface
>flaws beneath which exposed it to premature rusting(?).

Good point. At first I had smoother transitions between rust and metal, but
somehow I thought this looked better. However, I'd really like to find I way
to concentrate the rust around the edges and the... uhm... "center buldge",
but I haven't been able to figure out how, yet. The problem is that the mask
is made of bezier patches that does't conform too well to POV's built in
patterns. But a gradient x could work to get some more rust at the edges of
the stuff in the middle. I'll have to try that.

And don't be sorry, I like long replies :)

--
Martin Magnusson
e-mail: Mar### [at] studentuuse