POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another grass pic : Re: Another grass pic Server Time
5 Oct 2024 05:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another grass pic
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 17 Feb 1999 16:26:04
Message: <36cb33ec.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <36CB1081.95E930BD@pacbell.net>...

>Concerning the Cray Y-MP * Is this the model number for the latest
incarnation
>of the Cray line ? I think I heard recently that the original company that
>founded the Cray computer line disolved and was bought by a recognized
computer manufacturer. The
>current methods of manufacturing this last model are so far
>removed from the original design and purpose that the "Cray" name on the
outside
>of the box is more for name recognition than any real relationship to it's
>former self.
>
>Is this - True ?
> Or
>Is this - False ?
>
>--
>Ken Tyler

Beats me.  I looked in the 1998 Guinness Book of World Records for fastest
computer and it lists the Cray Y-MP C-90.  But then again, it lists the 300
MHz Alpha as the fastest CPU, so who knows what's fastest today.  The
supercomputing speed record went to 2 linked Intel Paragon
parallel-processing machines with a total of 6768 processors, which achieved
328 gigaflops.  Anybody up to porting POV to that machine???

Eric

--
"Back in the days when I was a Marxist, my primary concern was that ordinary
people deserved better and that elites were walking all over them. That is