POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : mixing POV code with C++ : Re: POV source errors Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV source errors
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Feb 1999 10:56:25
Message: <36c843a9.0@news.povray.org>
In article <36c7e6b6.0@news.povray.org> , "Nigel Stewart"
<nig### [at] eisanetauNOSPAM> wrote:

> Ahhh...  Here is our misunderstanding.  You interpret me as saying
> that you should never rely on implicit casting.  My meaning is that
> you need to be careful about implicit casting of floats and doubles.
>
> And uh, I think we both need to keep in mind that this
> argument is pretty academic.  It doesn't bother me
> greatly enough to upset a fellow povray developer,
> or get them offside.  So, if you're feeling that I'm a total
> heretic for not agreeing with you, let me know and
> I'll argue less strongly.. :-)  I 99% agree with everything
> you say anyway!

Yes, that is true. I have no problem with your argument nor with the way you
are arguing. (And I hope you don't have a problem with my style either :-)
It is just that we disagree in when some casts are useful and when a
compiler should notify the programmer by default when implicity casts are
used.

    Thorsten