POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Globe on Stand (37k) : Re: Globe on Stand (37k) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 21:11:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Globe on Stand (37k)
From: Colorman (Kraxmel)
Date: 15 Feb 1999 09:48:15
Message: <36c833af.0@news.povray.org>
Thanks for taking the time to explain!!!

I did notice the line there (more so after your post), and it really
bothered me.  I just thot it might be a glich in the program or something
that caused the line in the horizon from the plane to show up in the stand,
but now I understand AND it makes sense!!!

I tried what you suggested, and it was much better!  I also tried a box
instead of the plane (<-12,2,-12>,<12,0,12>), and except for the stand not
standing out as much, I like it better.

Neways, thank you very much for the help!!!  I learned something from it!

Cman

--

Bob Hughes wrote in message <36C81A53.7E9C88E5@aol.com>...
>Sorry. I thought I was trying to be plain-talking since you had said you
>just started. Been soooo long since I first started on POV-Ray, 4 going
>on 5 years.
>To put it another way:
>
>The plane you used for a ground (or floor), since it stretches
>infinitely in all directions, is causing a reflection in the stand which
>matches the background exactly.
>This is due to the same distances being reached by the plane, away from
>and behind the camera, and the perpendicular (straight up from the
>ground) stand.
>So what I suggested is to perhaps keep this in mind and shorten one of
>the directions (by quite a bit concerning this plane anyhow), presumably
>the behind-camera direction since its not seen besides.
>You would need to either use a very large, flat box alone or:
>
> plane {y,0 clipped_by {box{-1,1 scale <100,1,100> translate 50*z}} }
>
>Well, anyhow, just wanted to relate to you the matched-up reflection
>thing. It's all up to the maker to decide what they want. Hate to tell
>you though, you're in for a lot of surprises good and bad. But it's fun
>;-]
>

>"Colorman (Kraxmel)" wrote:
>>
>> Forgive my ignorance, but can you put that in english :)  Just kidding,
>> sorta.
>>
>> I am new to this whole thing (hence the simplistic objects I have
posted),
>> and I am trying to stay away from modellers (I read what Ken had to say
>> about staying away from modellers till you have a grasp on the workings
of
>> pov-ray in the povray.newusers, and think he is right).  Anyways, what do
>> you really mean by your statements?
>>
>> Also, this is not really meant to be a scene, but rather an object that I
>> want to use in a scene I have in mind.  Thot I'd practice by making some
>> objects that will increase in complexity to get the handle of the
program.

>> Cman
>> BTW, thanks for the comments too!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bob Hughes wrote in message <36C6CE6E.E36E9C3D@aol.com>...
>> >The infinite plane creates a false filtered look to the stand via
>> >reflection, if you limit the dimensions to different front to back
>> >distances this will offset it.
>> >Like the look of these two objects, globe seems fractured with fog and
>> >stand is a beautiful example of metal.

>> >--
>> > omniVERSE: beyond the universe
>> >  http://members.aol.com/inversez/POVring.htm
>> > mailto:inv### [at] aolcom?PoV
>
>--
> omniVERSE: beyond the universe
>  http://members.aol.com/inversez/POVring.htm
> mailto:inv### [at] aolcom?PoV

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'globe_bob.jpg' (8 KB) Download 'globe_cman.jpg' (7 KB)

Preview of image 'globe_bob.jpg'
globe_bob.jpg

Preview of image 'globe_cman.jpg'
globe_cman.jpg