POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Feature/plugin Request .... : Re: Feature/plugin Request .... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature/plugin Request ....
From: Twyst
Date: 10 Feb 1999 13:44:07
Message: <36c1d377.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <36C1C438.71E40BA0@pacbell.net>...
>Twyst wrote:
>>
>> How about cylinders/cubes/cones that you can define the endpoints of,
>> instead of having to rotate & scale them?
>> I can see a plugin that has just these normal primitives, but with a
numeric
>> entry :
>>
>> Cube - enter x1,y1,z1 and x2,y2,z2
>> Cylinder - enter x1,y1,z1 ,  x2,y2,z2  , radius
>> Cone - enter x1,y1,z1 ,  x2,y2,z2  , radius1, radius2
>>
>> It would make life MUCH simpler, as well as make cleaner code than taking
>> unit cylinder and scaling/rotating/translating.
>>
>> Twyst
>> --
>> povray.doc -- An engaging tale about a spanish guy named Manual.
>

>Are you trying to be funny or am I missing something here ?

>Have I missed something ?

Yup. This is for MORAY. there is NO current way to define where your
endpoints are WITHOUT having to do a LOT of scaling/rotating.

Notice how you have to build a cylinder currently.
you click cylinder.
It places a 1x1x1 cylinder at the origin
you scale it to the right dimensions
You rotate and translate it until you get it right.
(Case in point: YOU do a cylinder with points <2.3,1.2,3> <.15,8.2,2.5>
without spending 5 minutes doing s/r/t to make it fit.)
Repeat for each cylinder in a scene.
Output code:

cylinder { // Cylndr001
  <0,0,1>, <0,0,0>, 1
  material {
    PDB_Tex_C
  }
  scale <0.7, 1.0, 6.9>
  rotate 35.0*y
  translate  <3.6, 0.0, 1.3>
}

Now, the plugin:

You click Cylinder[2 point]
It puts a 1x1x1 cylinder at the origin.
You enter the first point. <2.3,1.2,3>
It places endpoint 1 there.
You enter the second point. <.15,8.2,2.5>
It places endpoint 2 there.
You enter the radius.
It changes the radius.
Done. MUCH faster to do.