POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POVRay on the NeXT : Re: POVRay on the NeXT Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay on the NeXT
From: Ron Parker
Date: 4 Feb 1999 08:25:00
Message: <36b99fac.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:39:42 -0800, Renato and Fadia Rodrigues
	<fad### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>Has anyone ever attempted to develop a POVRay version for the NeXT?  You
>remember - Steve Jobs' Big Black Bomb of the 80s.  I have two of them that I
>inherited from a client.  It's basically a Motorolla 68xxx box running
>bastardized version of UNIX with a fancy GUI front end.  Since I'm not a
>programmer, I don't know the first thing to do with the POVRay source code.
>I did, however, notice that the POVRay site provides a Macintosh version of
>POVRay (68xxx) and a Generic UNIX version of POVRay.  Hmm, can it be so hard
>fort the right individual to create a hybrid version that would work on the
>NeXT.  I'm willing to give one of my NeXT boxes complete with high
>resolution monitor to that "right individual" willing to take on this
>project.  Any takers?  Any suggestions?

Doesn't the NeXT use Display PostScript to do all of its graphics?  I'm
thinking that's significantly different from anything the current ports
of POV use, but it shouldn't be hard to add to the generic Unix code.
Are you looking for a fancy GUI as well?  Do you have the necessary
development tools? (compiler, documentation, etc.)