POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Parse storage. : Re: Parse storage. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parse storage.
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Feb 1999 16:01:31
Message: <36b8b92b.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:39:08 +0100, Rudy Velthuis <rve### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>But you'll propably have to write a rather extensive parser for this. Once
>you've done that, the rest won't be hard to implement anymore.

But if you use POV's built-in parser, and get the code added to the
official release somehow...  This is how POB format works, but it's
not official.  All of the issues with binary files go away if you
use a text file in a known format instead.  The result is something
that's a little slower parsing than a binary file but not as slow
as a procedural scene description, more cross-platform than a binary
file, and backward compatible with existing versions of POV.  It's
like the C preprocessor: it outputs C code, but it's not C code mere
mortals would want to read.  In fact, many compilers even have an
option for "preprocess only."  This is the sort of option I'm
proposing.