POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: A box with no lights. : Re: A box with no lights. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A box with no lights.
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Feb 1999 09:01:34
Message: <36b856be.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:27:40 GMT, Steve <hor### [at] osuedu> wrote:

I really like all of the theory; it certainly seems to make sense.
One question, though: where does the initial set of points come
from?

>Image now, a scene that is a sphere with a light source inside.  All the nodes
>will have null lists that say "here are all the invisible points."  There are
>none!  So we know from this that all points are visible to each other.  Nice
>network.   Now consider a horribly complex maze.  Notice that any given one
>point "sees" only a small fraction of the total amount of contributing points.
>The lists will be small visible lists.  What kind of scene has a maximum
>network size?  There is indeed a funny middle-ground.  Perhaps two planes
>facing each other with a light source in between?   Do you want to write a
>formal proof though?  I intend to, eventually.  I'm thinking a tetrahedron
>with a lightsource inside, what about you guys? :)

I'm thinking of two barely-intersecting (merged) diffuse spheres with the light
source halfway between their centers.  Each point is visible to roughly half
of the other points, and all are visible to the light source.  Still not
more complex than two planes, though, unless you consider that there are
fewer glancing angles involved.