POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Parse storage. : Re: Parse storage. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parse storage.
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 2 Feb 1999 07:42:52
Message: <36b6f2cc.0@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Mika schrieb in Nachricht <36b6c5c3.0@news.povray.org>...
>Spider <spi### [at] bahnhofse> wrote:
>: The main problem as I see it, is how to get the parser/storer7loader to
>: recognise if I have changed in a macro while parsing. But then, I don't
>: think that will be necessary, since the user can then simply reparse the
>: whole lot.
>
>  Perhaps a program similar to 'make' in UNIX could be used to reparse only
>the modified files.

But then you'd have to have a "compiler" (to parse the files and turn them
into binary or whatever) and a "linker" (to connect the parsed files into
one scene). This is of course a totally different approach from the current
one.

But it would be great. The .par files would be something like the
precompiled headers many C/C++ compilers provide for, or the symbol files
many compilers can produce to speed up compiling.

But as the POV-team already mentioned somewhere, most time is not wasted in
parsing, but in allocating objects during this process. If this is true (I
can't verify it), the pre-compile wouldn't do a lot of good.

--
Rudy Velthuis