POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k) : Re: The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k) Server Time
5 Oct 2024 01:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k)
From: Peter Popov
Date: 31 Jan 1999 23:09:45
Message: <36b52746.33500556@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 11:01:10 -0600, Bob Hughes <inv### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

>Not sure if I have anything to contribute. Just thinking, sounds like
>you need small files and a way to use them with good enough quality.
>How about loading them as image_maps in POV, outputing as much larger
>files as a pre-process using interpolation/antialiasing then inputing
>back in afterward un-interpolated. Like I say, unsure of the actual
>results you would have in that particular case though. At least this way
>you can start small and end big, using the POV output as a image
>processor to smooth out the scaled up images/hf.
>Understand?

The problem is not file size but resolution. If you've seen Arabeske
you know it outputs to a black and white and somewhat small image
(unless you have a decent JVM and the multi windows work for you).
Interpolation doesn't work for the same reason you can't render a
160x120 pic and stretch it to 800x600 to get the same result as if
you've rendered it big... there's a lack of image information. I tried
bilinear and bicubic in PhotoShop and even fractal interpolation in
Corel Draw to no avail. Maybe the best way is good old Paint? :)

The question remains open (probably needs a separate thread in
.general...)

Regards,
Peter