POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k) : Re: The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k) Server Time
5 Oct 2024 01:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k)
From: Peter Popov
Date: 30 Jan 1999 21:37:19
Message: <36b3ba79.5034852@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:51:35 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

<snip>
>> Problem 1: A tileable material_map is no longer tileable if the
>> interpolate option is used, and otherwise it's jaggy. What should I
>> do?
>
>Are we talking material maps or image maps ?
>
>I never knew the interpolat function to be a problem.
>I don't ever recall any problems with it anyway.

I am referring to material maps here. On the pic I posted, if I use
interpolation (bi-linear or bi-cubic), the seams of the tiles become
visible, marked with dark lines. I am guessing that POV does not "wrap
around" the image when interpolationg, which makes sense for
non-tileable image and material maps. Maybe a keyword like "tileable"
sometime in the future will solve the problem. Currently, this can be
avoided by using a pigment_map with a brick_size of, say,
<0.99,0.99,0.99> and a gutter <0.02,0.02,0.02> translated
<0.01,0.01,0.01>, the interpolated image_map for bricks and
non-interpolated -- for gutter (this one just came to me :) )

>With regard to the height field problem the only suggestion I can
>make is to give it a try in a HF program like Leveller. You can
>preset the grid size before importing the image to be used as the
>HF map. It may still have gridding even once imported into Leveller
>but you can use the host of tools it has available to smooth out
>the rough edges. It offers a user definable gaussian filter alogrithm
>that works very well. Once fixed to your satisfaction you can export
>a Pov compatible HF_Gray_16 image with the increase grid size you
>choose.

I can do that, right. I have some real old beta of Leveller and it
tends to crash my unstable system. There are several ways that I can
go, but I was hoping there was a cheap and cheasy way to solve the
problem that has somehow escaped me. For this particular pic I'll draw
the tile contours using some vector graphics program at a zoom level
1:4 to 1:16 and then rasterise it.

>I have tried manipulating "too small" images in a paint program
>and the fact is if the number of pixels are not there in the
>first place it is hard to replace them when you strech them over
>a larger area.
>
>Leveller:
>http://www.daylongraphics.com/

Regards,