POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k) : Re: The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k) Server Time
5 Oct 2024 01:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Spectral Orb is back! (~60k)
From: Peter Popov
Date: 30 Jan 1999 20:08:38
Message: <36b3892e.1372508@news.povray.org>
Thank you guys for your comments!

As it seems you don't like the focal blur. Me neither. I had to choose
between a blurry or an aliased picture. I can see that blurring sucks,
but I tried all my best to reduce aliasing and failed. I am now
stretching a pleading hand to you. Here's the set-up.

I am using Arabeske to create the tiles. The output is a 276x484 b&w
image. A coloured version is used for a material_map and the b&w image
is used as a basis for creating a grayscal height_field which is the
repeating tileset pattern.

Problem 1: A tileable material_map is no longer tileable if the
interpolate option is used, and otherwise it's jaggy. What should I
do?

Problem 2. The height_field image is too small and it looks aliased.
Scaling it does not solve the problem, and drawing it by hand is not
an option (I need this for a tutorial and "draw it pixel by pixel" is
not the best thing to say to encourage a newbee to use a program).
Again, what should I do?

I will greatly appreciate any advice as this is the first picture of
my own that I like at least a little and may also become my first
complete scene (if you call a ball and a floor "a scene"). Reducing
aliasing due to low-res height_field and material_map source images
will also make a nice tutorial or at least a section in the VFAQ. If
any of those two has been written I will be thankful if someone
pointed out an url for me. TIA for your help.

Regards,
Peter