POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Asteroid : Re: Asteroid Server Time
5 Oct 2024 03:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid
From: Lue Ebra
Date: 28 Jan 1999 23:26:30
Message: <36b13876.0@news.povray.org>
Ben Birdsey wrote in message <36ACDB1A.5A936E38@unlgrad1.unl.edu>...
> That's a really amazing asteroid!  It may be the best CG asteroid I've
ever
>seen (well, outside Armageddon...)
>
> A couple of comments.
>
> From pictures I've seen of large asteroids, the craters seem to be filled
up.
<clip>
> I recently read an article in Nature which was about what a massive impact
>would do to an asteroid (If I remember right, they were simulating a rock
the
>size of a house impacting at 20,000 mph).  Well, the bottom line was this.
It
>looks like any impact that could make a crater of any size (>0.25 the size
of
>the asteroid) would totally shatter it!  But there is that moon of Jupiter
or
>Saturn with a crater that makes it look like the death star!

There are a few meteorites on display in museums (The Smithsonian's sure to
have one, as well as Meteor Crater, Arizona)

> Anyway, just tell everyone it's artistic license.
like what looks like a submarine in the Pearl Harbour scene on the IRTC
page?
Someone told me that there were no submarines at Pearl at the time of the
attack (He was a WW2 vet that served in the south Pacific at the time)

> In Him,
> Ben Birdsey
Lue Ebra
lue### [at] nxuscom
www.electro-net.com/~lueebra
"The only constant in the universe is change"