POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Scene Creation : Re: Scene Creation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 10:10:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scene Creation
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 27 Jan 1999 16:38:14
Message: <36af8746.0@news.povray.org>
Ken schrieb in Nachricht <36ABF76A.3C524C31@pacbell.net>...

>Opinion wise I suggest you use whatever method suits you and allows
>you to be as creative as you can be. If you follow my lead you will
>be a better artist than the modeler alone Pov user because you will
>understand the inner working of Pov to a greater extint than you can
>in a modeler only environment. This is not to say you can't achieve
>great results in a modeler only environment I just feel you will limit
>your possibilities.

I agree with you. Modellers are nice for easily cooking up a scene and
visualising it (I have been working on a visualisation of Escher's
"Ascending/Descending" and it would have been hard to experiment with the

modeller), but they lack the fine tuning of the scene language. Later on I
developed a #macro to calculate the placement (and size, which is the trick)
of some parts of the stairs, so I abandoned the model from the modeller.

Also the textures and lighting can be tested a bit easier with a good
modeller (or texture program).

To Matt's question I would say, the best thing is to use a lot of paper in
the beginning. Later on, you will find out you'll be able to do most of
these things in your head instead of using pen and paper. If you can do
that, you'll find you don't need a modeller anymore, unless you want to do
something like the Escher scene.

--
Rudy Velthuis