POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Need Help With Radiosity : Re: Need Help With Radiosity Server Time
5 Oct 2024 03:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need Help With Radiosity
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 26 Jan 1999 08:19:12
Message: <36adc0d0.0@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote in message <36AD984E.FA0B9151@aol.com>...
>Like Mike said increasing the ambient light.
>But also I notice you have gray_threshold 0, this means don't do
>anything. A gray_threshold 0.1 would be better than this.

Thanks for the tips (you too, Mike!!!).

As I read the docs (but then again, I may be wrong) the gray_threshold makes
the radiosity effect grayer, and setting it to 0 just allows the radiosity
effect to add the most color to the scene  (ie., it turns off the graying
effect).  Or does it turn off radiosity entirely???

>And the
>minimum_reuse is greater than default of 0.15, I noticed that inside
>corners tend to look vacant of color if more than that. Less could help
>add in color too then.

Actually, it's 0.02, but I'll lower it some more.

>distant_maximum is also tricky, I've used very small distances instead
>of larger ones to increase the saturation of close proximities. With it
>large it tends to require more 'count', etc. to compensate and fill in.

I've tried very small and large numbers here, but will have to start my
experiments all over.  As usual when I work on a problem for a week or so,
give up, and post a question here, I come up with a (partial, in this case)
solution myself within a few minutes.  My scene had no ceiling and the
background was set to 50% gray.  Apparently this allowed tons of radiosity
coming from the background to flood the scene, obscuring any radiosity
effects from the scene itself.  A gray ceiling with a low (0.1) ambient
setting corrected this.  Time to start tweaking again!!!

Eric

--
"Truth derives its strength not so much from itself
as from the brilliant contrast it makes with what is