POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Cylindar Lights? Plugin, perhaps? : Re: Cylindar Lights? Plugin, perhaps? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cylindar Lights? Plugin, perhaps?
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 25 Jan 1999 10:51:35
Message: <36ac9307.0@news.povray.org>
>Lue Ebra wrote:
>
>> I've needed something similiar in the past.. I just scaled a point light
on
>> one axis. That's pretty close to cylindrical.

To Lue: Alex was talking about a special kind of spot light that POV-Ray
offers, but Moray doesn't.

>That doesn't do anything. Point lights are just that- points. How do you
scale
>a point?

Of course a scaled point light is not changed at all. The ability to scale
point lights in Moray gives only one effect: The wireframe representation of
that light changes. The rendered image will not change a bit.

And yes, I would think that it should be very easy to create a Plugin that
gives you Cylinder Lights.
As to "looks_like": This is easily emulated by creating a group with the
light and the object, and giving the object the "no_shadow" feature. This
has the same effect as adding "looks_like" to the light in POV-Ray code.

Johannes.