POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Double-byte font trouble : Re: Double-byte font trouble Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double-byte font trouble
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 19 Jan 1999 17:45:07
Message: <36a50940.66064912@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:33:20 -0500, Anthony Bennett
<ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:

>I am rendering a chinese chess set for a presentation and I need a list
>of the character codes for the symbols. In my experiments I've had
>trouble like
>the guy in the previous message. I don't know a word of chinese,
>I don't own a chinese computer or anything, but I HAVE GOT TO GET THIS
>THING DONE. Please, whoever can help, I implore you... Help me. I don't
>even know how to get the superpatch to output these characters. I don't
>even know if I'm using a double byte font. I'm trying to do it with
>MingLiU, which popped up after I installed the traditional chinese
>multilanguage add-on for Explorer. Help me. Somebody. I've tried to find

Okay, I found the problem, but I'm not sure how to deal with it.  The
thing is, it tries to convert whatever DBCS characters you give it to
Unicode using the Japanese locale (this is hard-coded!).  As a result,
trying to use pure Unicode values does not work.  In fact, I can't
even get any Japanese values to work, either, but that may be because
I don't have the proper codepages installed.  In any event, I'm
considering just nuking the locale support and requiring Unicode.  Is
there any objection to this?