POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Double-byte font trouble : Re: Double-byte font trouble Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:33:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double-byte font trouble
From: Ron Parker
Date: 19 Jan 1999 16:08:37
Message: <36a4f455.0@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:40:18 -0800, Jon A. Cruz <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:
>For us poor folks who can't read Chinese...
>http://charts.unicode.org/unihan.html is quite handy.

Indeed it is.  With the assistance of the charts there, plus the
character map utility that comes with NT, plus the nice Unicode
fonts that come with NT, I've determined that Unicode support in
the Superpatch is none too great.  I need to recompile with some
debugging and see just what it's doing, but it seems as though it
is unable to find the characters I tell it to as double-byte
characters, so it tries to use single-byte ones instead.  For
example, 0x05D0 is the Hebrew character Aleph, but when I try to
use it it seems to find character 0xF005 (a squiggly comma-like
thing in user space) and "Latin Capital Letter Eth", a D with a
line through it, which is at location 0xD0.  I don't know what
this does with DBCS fonts - it may actually work - but it sure
doesn't work with these Unicode fonts.  (0xF005 is what it tries
automatically if it fails to find 0x05) When I know more, I'll
post it here.