POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Q: Photon Patch - Other Features : Re: Q: Photon Patch - Other Features Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: Photon Patch - Other Features
From: Ben Paschke
Date: 28 Mar 1999 21:34:37
Message: <36FEF77B.B00DB9AF@rsp.com.au>
ken said

> 2.) U_V Mapping
>
> Concerning the u_v mapping function in the patch. I tried using it with
> a mesh based model and had less than successful results. Could someone
> explain a little more on the process involved in it's implementation
> and usage. I understand well how it works with bicubic patches as that
> is well documented and I have read the posts here on the topic. As applied
> to a large mesh object on the other hand all I am getting is a solid
> colored pigment effect rather than the image hugging the mesh object
> as expected. Anyone ?

 The "supported" primatives for uv mapping have inherent uv spaces. The thing

with triangles is that you have to describe this space yourself. You could do

this by macro'ing an object from triangles that describes the uv space as it
creates the object or use another piece of software to do it. A straight mesh

that just contains triangle info doesn't have any inherent uv space. To get
uv mapping to work, each triangle in your mesh must have a uv space defined
for it as per the bottom of Nathan's uv mapping pov page.
(http://nathan.kopp.com/uv.htm)
Other highend modellers facilitate uv manipulation when texturing meshes
(like texturing in 3d studio or something and then saving to .3ds format)
then would then have to use a converter that would convert triangle info
aswel as triangle uv coords. ...(doesn't the latest ver of 3ds2pov do this??)

benp