POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : An Object outside the skysphere : Re: An Object outside the skysphere Server Time
6 Sep 2024 02:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Object outside the skysphere
From: Ken
Date: 28 Mar 1999 10:45:11
Message: <36FE4D70.21CFF646@pacbell.net>
Handler wrote:

> I was just playing around with the skyphere, trying to make a space like
> scene.  Now I want to put a planet(s) outside the "world."  And have no
> idea where to look for it.  I'd be glad for the little bit of a push to
> get me going.
>
> Attached is the .pov file that I am working on.

 The skysphere is actually a virtual object with no real size. You can
not place an object outside of it because it has no limit in size.
Think of the skysphere, fog, and the background feature as white paper
space that your scene is drawn on. It occupies all of the space that
is not physically covered by an object. It is everywhere something else
isn't.
 To get around this you will need to use a sphere object with a large
scale then place your outside planets outside the diameter of the sphere
object. Personally I find using a sphere instead of the skysphere for
my skies gives me more versatility anyway. One advantage to using a
sphere is that you can scale it unevenly unlike the skysphere which
gives you the added advantage of being able to have flatter cloudscapes
and adjustable horizons.

 I did not look at your file because I don't think it would help in
this case if I did.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net