POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just checking... : Re: Just checking... Server Time
4 Oct 2024 13:10:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just checking...
From: Ken
Date: 28 Mar 1999 10:12:39
Message: <36FE45D1.DEB996E7@pacbell.net>
Anthony Bennett wrote:

> OK. I'm glad everyone like my castle dungeon. I am glad that they like
> the addition of bars. I am now going to add cell doors and perhaps some
> chains in the cells. I also have the cauldron of boiling oil to add.
>
> I just need to ask something(s).
>
> a) Do you like the KyleCam view more than the previous camera?
>      I have a small problem with it that it doesn't show my work on the
> stairs or the colums from the front. I'll prolly do the KyleCam and
> another one somewhere between it and mine. This is yet to be determined.

> b) Is it me, or do you people think that the textures in the test render
> are to replace the others?
>     I worked hard on my stone textures I have no intention of removing
> them. I simply provided the solid color version as a preview. The final
> render(s) will have the textures I showed previously.
>
> Thank you. That is all.

  Your second to the last image posted is my favourite camera position.
The image was at once visually appealing and attracted my attention.
  You may not like the current color scheme but it did a lot more for
the scene than you are giving yourself credit for. Your former texture
as you mentioned is scaled extremely small. That alone may be adding
twice as much time to your render than any other thing. You could
probably get the same effect with a normal scale of 1 by adjusting
the entries in your color map.
  It takes a long time to calculate that much color density in such
a small area. I think one of the reasons you had lighting perception
problems all along is because of the color density of the texture. If
you used something a little less busy the scene would become more
visible in varying lighting situations, and the contours of the scene
more become increasingly visible as well. You probably could reduce
your color map entries by half and change your scale to something more
appropriate by adding a little crand to your finish statement and still
maintain the same look while increasing the performance in rendering
time and visual impact.

 These are my thoughts on that subject. You as the artist must decide
what looks good to you. We may be your peers and critics but we cannot
and should not create or control the outcome of your work. To allow that
to happen would make the art no longer yours but ours and what good is
that ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net