POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Ken: Paging Mr. Nathan Kopp Sir : Re: Ken: Paging Mr. Nathan Kopp Sir Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ken: Paging Mr. Nathan Kopp Sir
From: Ken
Date: 21 Mar 1999 12:24:35
Message: <36F52A70.B49ADFB5@pacbell.net>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> Ken wrote:
> >
> >   Thank you for your replies to my questions. In regards to the
> > term caustics as used above I have one more little question.
> > With the photon patch is it necessary to use the caustics interior
> > modifier for the caustic reflections ? It doesn't seem likely to me
> > but I have not heard explicitly one way or another on the this and
> > would like a clarification for sake of proceedural accuracy.
>
> The 'caustics' keyword will have no effect on photon mapping.
>
> -Nathan

  I suspected as much but wanted it confirmed ono the less. Thanks.

  I just posted your request for a photon patch, user generated
disco like mirrored ball, reflecting multiple beams of colored
light, which appear as spots of multicoloured lights illuminating
the surrounding walls, into the povray.binaries.images group.

  I would just like to go on record after this little exercise as
saying it sure would have been easier had I been able to use spot
lights for the light sources. Trying to hide 60 colored lights with
an intensity of 1.8 is a challenge unto itself without the aid of
the programs spotlight light_source modifier. Had I not hidden them
they would have washed out the desired effects. In consequence they
had to be obscured from everything but the reflective surfaces they
were pointed at. Not insurmountable but but uniquely challenging to
say the least.

  If anyone wants the source for this to do an animation with I am more
that willing to hand it off to someone else to peruse. A 600x400 with
the current settings took 15.6 minutes to render and maybe 1.5 to parse
on my P-200 machine.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net