POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Ken: Paging Mr. Nathan Kopp Sir : Re: Ken: Paging Mr. Nathan Kopp Sir Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ken: Paging Mr. Nathan Kopp Sir
From: Spider
Date: 20 Mar 1999 12:53:25
Message: <36F3DEEE.C8A32010@bahnhof.se>
Spider jumps in here.

Ken wrote:

> Greetings Mr. Nathan Kopp Sir,
>
>    A couple of quick questions in regards to the Photon feature of your
>  newest patch. There are statistics available when using the photon feature.
Hmm, I'd like to see them even If I don't finish the render, taht would be
useful to tweak the settings and don't wait for eternety.

>   The first is a counter in the lower left of the window frame. If you are
>  lucky enough to get your scene description set up correctly it starts to
>  display two pieces of information when parsing the scene. One number to
>  the left for the photon map and a second number in parenthesis. What are
>  the two numbers and what may be learned from them as they are displayed ?
As far as I know..
Theese go once for every object that photons affect.
left number is shot photons(increasing by 500) and right number is stored
photons.
theese go for all objects.

>   Second question is in regards to the statistics reported in the message
>  window when a render is finished. Here you have as many as four statistics
>  returned - that is the most I have seen so far anyway.
I like stats :-)

>  For example I just finished a render with these reported results:
>
>       Photons:
>           Shot - 245,000
>         Stored - 117,000
It means that about 45% of all photons actually hit an object and therefore is
stored.

>  Priority Que:
>         Insert - 124,000
>        Removed -     165
noo idea.

>   I would like to know what this is telling me in regards to the
>  numbers returned. Do I need to adjust my choice of parameters,
>  is it is in the ballpark for the process, or this is just useless
>  statistics put there to make the process look more important but
>  actually tells you nothing ? (just kidding on the last part :) ).
Well, the first are relevant for your settings, if they are to big
difference(100 000 / 10 000 ratio) you really need to tweak. :-)

<snip number 3>

>   Thank you for taking the time to read this and I am really enjoying
>  the new art coming from my computer.
same here :-)
>   You dun guud things Mr. Nathan Kopp Sir.
and here :-)

--
//Spider
        [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]