POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : gettysburg : Re: gettysburg.... PS. Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gettysburg.... PS.
From: Ken
Date: 20 Mar 1999 11:57:41
Message: <36F3D265.47778881@pacbell.net>
Psychomek wrote:

> and it was also on an envelope that he wrote it on.....
> Psychomek wrote:
>
> > Actually I think he used a Pencil; cause a Quill would have been too early for
> > Lincoln. he would have used a fountain pen if not the pencil. well that is my only
> > criticism for the day.  And that is only if you want it realistic and to the time
> > period.  but other than that little Tid-bit the Scene looks Great!  LOVE the
> > reflection of Lincoln in the watch!
> >
> > That's my 2 bits.....
> >
> > Psychomek

  In his early school days it is reported that he used charcoal from the
fire place to mark the paper with. Now this I learned quite some time ago
and history may indeed be reporting something else now. Even so that was a
young Mr. Lincoln and the reflection in the back of the watch casing shows
him as he would have appeared in his presidency. I think by that time he
might have graduated to quill pens and see no reason to believe that they
would not have been around during his time. Certainly Ben Franklin has been
pictured with a trusty quill pen as his choice of weapons when doing battle
with the written word. My grandmother preferred writting to friends with
a quill pen as recently as 30 years ago because she was taught in school
to use the quill and didn't like the way her flowing script style of
writting looked with the cartridge and fountain type pens.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net