POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Photon patch : Re: Photon patch Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon patch
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 18 Mar 1999 09:47:20
Message: <36F111A1.495D3953@Kopp.com>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:21:22 +0100, Markus Becker
>         <bec### [at] zessuni-siegende> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >am I to understand that photons are only shot by light_sources?
> >Or does anyone have a tip to extend the photons to radiosity?
>
> When you say radiosity, are you talking about the "box with no
> lights" thread from a while ago?
>
> Terminology nitpick: radiosity is a term for a specific global
> illumination system.  Photon mapping is a term for a different
> global illumination system.  If you're using a photon map, you
> probably shouldn't be using POV-Ray's "radiosity" features.

Well, right now photon mapping only does specular and refractive caustic
lighting, while 'radiosity' does indirect diffuse lighting... so right
now they are pretty orthogonal features, so you can use them together
without problems.

> Perhaps you could get by with an area light.  That assumes that
> the photon mapping patch works (correctly) with area lights, of
> course.

Sorry, but photons don't work right with area lights... eventually they
will... I haven't taken the time to program that part yet.  ;-)
All lights are currently treated like point lights.

-Nathan