POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Plugin idea : Re: Plugin idea Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plugin idea
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 16 Mar 1999 09:23:57
Message: <36EE6908.F0004D10@mitre.org>
Johannes Hubert wrote:

> Ph Gibone wrote in message <36ed4ab0.0@news.povray.org>...
> >
> >To make things clear, when I wrote about a scripting language for Moray I
> >thought that it would be very convenient to be able to write a plugin even
> >if you don't know C, C++, WIndows SDK,
> [snip]
>
> That is where the misunderstanding was, I think:
>
> Twyst was thinking of a plug-in that would offer a simply scripting-language
> to make part of the plug-in interface available to non (C/C++)-programmers,
> or at least available without the need of compiling and building DLLs.

That would be a pretty nice thing to have - especially considering the
size of today's compilers...

One thing seems like an obvious alternative to the suggestions made so
far - use the Windows Scripting Host (WSH).  Already has support for
VBScript and JScript...

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/ for details.  Why only have one
scripting language available.

> But the main question is: Is this needed?
> Are there really people who are dying to write a Moray plugin and only don't
> do so because they would have to program in C/C++? ...

On the other hand, even those of use that do write plugins in C++ might
like the ability to do simple scene building stuff as a script, rather
than having to build an entire DLL to do the job.

An obvious response is that it is possible to do this sort of thing as a
POV-Ray macro.  But then, the script only works with POV-Ray - I make a
renderer and I'd much prefer to have the scripting done in Moray, and
then have it be exportable to the renderer of choice.

Xander