POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Guess what? Photons ! (86k+ jpg) : Re: Guess what? Photons ! (86k+ jpg) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guess what? Photons ! (86k+ jpg)
From: Spider
Date: 16 Mar 1999 11:56:26
Message: <36EE60F0.662D44E7@bahnhof.se>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> This pic has some really pretty colors!  Where do they come from? (floor?
> lights?)
Not the floor, that is a simple black And white thing( a bozo of a checker and a
spiral), but the mirrors. They have a colour = reflection, and are all in the
"base" colours. (rgb 1,0,0) and so.

> technical suggestion: double (at least) your gather radius.
Oki, I will.

  Unfortunately,
>   this will hurt the render time (hopefully not too much), but it will
>   smooth out the light from the spotlights.
Ahh, but I kinda liked this focused, I'll give it a try and see what it looks
like.

> Also, it wouldn't hurt to use more photons.
Lessen the density?

>When photons are responsible
> for all of the light in a scene, you really need a lot of them (depends
> on image resolution) for the lighting to not look splotchy or overly-
> blurred.  Memory consumption is a bit high currently with the patch.
> One of my next projects is to rearrange some stuff in it to try to use
> less memory per photon... but I think that if you have at least 32 mb,
> you can probably at least double the number of photons you have without
> any problems.
Well, If I get the dos code I can probably use all of my memory. I have win95,
and It can only use 64mb of my 96...

> Also, this scene currently has a bad photons shot / photons stored ratio
> (only about 1/10 of the photons shot are used).  Are you using
> "autostop 0"?
oops, I think auto-stop is something... High. (like 320)

>  If not, try adding that and see if it decreases the
> preprocessing time.
I'll try.

> Also, there are some weird artifacts in there that shouldn't bee there.
Hmm, wich are you pointing at ?

> For now you can use only one search radius instead of the suggested two,
> but could you send me your source so I can try to fix the problem.  (The
> problem is with my patch, not with your code.)
ok, I'll send the code :-)

--
//Spider
        [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]