POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fatal Beauty : Re: Fatal Beauty - try this Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fatal Beauty - try this
From: Ken
Date: 15 Mar 1999 00:56:45
Message: <36ECA199.1C7A13E@pacbell.net>
Mike wrote:

> Did you try doing a search for file with the letter bak in them?  I've
> noticed the editor in 3.1 seems to create backups, so if you got a file
> named this.pov, there might be a file called this.pov.bak.
>
> -Mike

  Had it turned off. It's not a bad feature when all you are working on
is small files of a couple of thousand bytes but I have been playing
with some large mesh files lately and just can't afford to have several
2 - 6 meg pov files cluttering up my already bulging hard drives. The
same is true for the auto file save feature. When you have a 6 meg file
open you don't want it stopping you during your editing to write all of
that data to the disc. To back up 6 meg files every 5 min. or so to safe
guard a 1k addition until it's done does not make much sense compared
to the wear and tear on the equipment that occurs as a result.

  I am almost positive that when I had to manually shut the file shut down,
either the Pov editor or Windows, attempted to write the buffer back into
the file for some reason, and the only thing there for it to write that
was left was nothing.

 I like that last part "...the only thing there for it to write that
was left was nothing. " a happy little coincidental oxymoron.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net