POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another Photons example : Yet another Photons example Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Yet another Photons example
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Mar 1999 16:35:28
Message: <36EC2B04.A85C1080@aol.com>
I used the photon mapping on my pocket watch picture. Having some
trouble adjusting for the right effect but then what else is new. Think
much of my difficulties are with the refractive and reflective surfaces
of the objects themselves. Then again it could be the 'autostop' angle
setting I haven't gotten exactly right either. I tried
'photons_pass_through' on the dome in a test run and got error messages
saying: "can't use pass through on refractive and high density, turning
refraction off", or something to that affect.
The two main lights have photons{reflection on refraction off}, the
watch metal has density 0.2 and reflection on only also. The dome glass
is using refraction only with density 0.2 and the watch crystal is
refraction only with density 0.15. The mirror is using reflection on and
density 0.2.
Here's the global photon_map settings:

    gather 23,123
    radius .12,3,.23
    jitter .3
    autostop 6

Main thing that doesn't seem right is the wrinkles caustics of the watch
crystal on the left hand side. There was a worse case covering more of
it before when the gather was set much lower but I don't understand the
wrinkling effect much. Think it may be the normal on the dome. It seems
to be defying my constant adjustments thus far anyway. The normal is
supposed to be large scale and yet small perturbation. Still working on
that.
Oh, and wouldn't be complete without some stats:

 Win95 OSR2, 233MMX Intel Pentium, 256K L2 cache, 64M sdram, 256M swap
file (permanent).
 300x300 pixel res.
 AA 0.3 AAdepth 2 Jitter 0.0
 43 seconds to parse.
 1h 28m 26s total render time.
 Just less than 6 megabytes peak memory used.

All in all a very usable new "feature", thankyou so much Nathan.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
 mailto:inv### [at] aolcom?PoV

Post a reply to this message