POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : B/W rendering from POV-Ray *is* possible! : More and more B&W (or: gamma revisited) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  More and more B&W (or: gamma revisited)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 13 Mar 1999 14:18:38
Message: <36EAB994.18350945@aol.com>
That's quite something there Spider, the blue perimeter box is markedly
different from one image to the other. And I see other differences too,
like the red shadow and it seems the yellow/magenta gradient doesn't
convert to light and dark gray or it's just a visual perception thing.
Have you done a grayscale image conversion to compare?
Like the perfume bottle too, Johannes. Very fitting in B&W. I'm tempted
to tease about the sky color being also the bottle color perhaps if a
person didn't know about the color picture.
I wanted to show a gamma related picture as well as the black and white.
The b&w method is by way of hf_gray_16 output into a png. My
Display_Gamma is always 2.2, except when doing the center image I
removed it from Povray.ini and restarted POV to be sure it reset.
Picture was originally 24-bit color png and image_mapped using only
ambient 1 finish without any lights.
Now my thoughts on it...
The leftmost image is a washed out low-contrast mess. The middle one is
what I would normally see if I don't adjust any gamma up or down. And
the one at right is darker than I would usually ever do, except that in
this instance I was trying for a high-contrast, glossy-photo look, while
at the same time trying to show the better side of gamma correction,
imho.
The increased global ambient_light helped to brighten parts while the
larger gamma number darkened it overall.
Here's the lights used in the original image:

light_source { -60*z color Sunshi_*.8 //Sunshi_ is rgb <0.99, 0.98,
0.97>
        //area_light <9,0,0>,<0,9,0>,3,3
         rotate <22.5,-67.5,0>}
light_source { -60*z color W40*.8 //W40 is rgb 0.4
        //area_light <9,0,0>,<0,9,0>,3,3
         rotate <15,30,0>}
light_source { -60*z color rgb<.1,.125,.15> rotate <-1,-20,0>}

Together these are less than the rgb 1.5 total I use most often.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
 mailto:inv### [at] aolcom?PoV

Post a reply to this message