POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : uv mapping for arbitrary objects : Re: uv mapping for arbitrary objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv mapping for arbitrary objects
From: Mathias Broxvall
Date: 12 Mar 1999 03:38:30
Message: <36E8D286.82ADE89C@ida.liu.se>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> This is an interesting concept.  Anyone know if there's any precedent for
> doing this (any other renderers that use this technique)?  But might this
> just become a form of spherical mapping?

I wouldn't think it'd make a spherical mapping since in the degenerate
case when the transformed object is the same as the untransformed object
the texturing become the normal povray 3D textures.
As of the origin I was inspired of the uV mapping for bezier patches
(hmm... can any object be expressed as a set of bezier
patches/triangles...)
but I wouldn't be surprised if there already are renderes using this
technique.

/ Mathias