POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cognac Glass : Re: Cognac Glass Server Time
4 Oct 2024 23:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cognac Glass
From: Mike
Date: 11 Mar 1999 19:56:06
Message: <36E864C8.6EF2CCE@aol.com>
> no caching going on now (I want to do it eventually).  Maybe it's an
> initialization problem (like the problem with stopping a radiosity render).
> I've never experienced it, but I will be on the look out for it.

I noticed that you don't the more I worked with it (and I peeked at the
source hee hee).  I bet it is an initialization problem, especially if
you got some of those 'floating' globals like with radiosity and Daren's
dispersion patch.  It would probably be a good idea to create a
deinitialize_photon_code struct and then add that to the section that
executes the other other ones for lighting and radiosity whenever a
render is stopped.  I could probably handle something simple like that,
so if I find something I'll let you know.

I found a more serious problem when I was rendering an animation using
photon mapping.  It seems that the memory isn't being freed between
frames, so about 1/3 through it sucked my resources dry and I had to
reboot to get it back.  I noticed that you wrote your own code for
handling the memory allocation for the photon maps, so that probably
needs some tweaking so it releases it in all cases.

I'll probably post the animation somewhere soon.  It's of a goldfish
underwater, and it came out pretty cool, albiet short. :)

-Mike