POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : An inside/outside test for triangles mesh : Re: An inside/outside test for triangles mesh Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An inside/outside test for triangles mesh
From: Carl Bartels
Date: 11 Mar 1999 18:09:22
Message: <36E84CE1.59945F7E@bravo436.chem.mcgill.ca>
Gordon wrote:

> On the topic in general, I would think the method of using the normals to
> determine the "inside" was more useful as this way open meshes could also be
> used. I still have a little trouble picturing how this would work exactly
> though!
>
> Regards
> Gordon

This sounds a bit like treating the triangles of a mesh as if they were
prisms which extend off to infinity in one direction (defined by the
normal) and just not drawing the sides.  I've had a weird experience
along these lines with disks in an old version of the superpatch (the
compile I made for Linux was buggy so I didn't think much of it at the
time).  Anyway, depending on where I put the camera relative to the
disk, I would get the standard warning about cameras inside non-hollow
objects causing problems with atmospheres.  Is it possible that pov does
try to treat some of these non-3d objects as if they were some strange
variant of a prism?

Would it be possible to use this to make an inside for a mesh (even an
open one?)  That way you could test if you are inside the prism of more
that one triangle and that should be enough to be inside your mesh, at
least for a simple mesh.  Would have to sit down and scratch my head for
a bit to see how to treat complicated shapes.  I just think that the
normals method is a nice way to go.

--
Carl Bartels, Department of Chemistry, Mcgill University, to reply to
me,