POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cognac Glass : Re: Cognac Glass Server Time
4 Oct 2024 23:13:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cognac Glass
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 11 Mar 1999 16:49:07
Message: <36E83A1B.177AE104@Kopp.com>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> Nathan Kopp wrote in message <36E7016F.72E68084@Kopp.com>...
> >
> >what strange effect?
> >

> The rim of the shadow gets darker, but beyond that there is a thin brighter
> "halo". Perhaps this is caused by total internal reflection or something?
> Reflective caustics were turned off in the test.

Ah, yes... that strange effect.  I should have warned you all (I'll document
it eventually).  That is caused by the way photon mapping works.  I haven't
found a good way to avoid it yet... increasing the density decreases the
dark/light ring.  That edge that you see is the border between using direct
lighting and using photon-mapped lighting.

-Nathan