POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : does MORAY export this correctly yet?? : Modellers and Handcoding Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Modellers and Handcoding
From: Dearmad
Date: 11 Mar 1999 14:02:34
Message: <36E81442.3FA80A89@europa.com>
Rudy Velthuis wrote:

> Lue Ebra schrieb in Nachricht <36e76e8a.0@news.povray.org>...
> >I always thought of modellers as tools for ppl who thought visually rather
> >than in a more ordered fashion (not that visually isn't ordered). I envy
> the
> >guys that see a scene as the journey and not the destination... sorta
> >
> Perhaps I didn't express myself clear enough. I meant to say, modellers,
> just as most other computer programs, are (or should be) designed to make
> our life easier (by taking away lot of hand-coding), not more complicated
> (by introducing extra search/replace and hand-coding cycles).

For myself I used to be a pure handcoder and loved the challenge, but
slowly I let Moray seep into my toolbox and soon I found my projects
took off but I was *still* mortally challenged to get the scenes out-
for me the bar just got raised when I made it "easier" for myself by
using a modeller.  I'm on frame 4137 (gotta rerender the last 61 as I
misplaced a light... grrr) of a 17fps cartoon now (it'll be about 10,200
in length) and there is no way on god's green earth I'd have attempted
it without a tool similar to Moray.

But, let me add this: I wouldn't trade in my handcoding days of
struggling for example to apply texture maps juuuust so for anything,
because now when I want to go in and add an "eyeblink" or something I
understand precisely where to go and how to apply the transformations
and in *what order* and why this is the way it works.  And the knowledge
handcoding has given me for *really* tweeking a texture is invaluable.
Knowing the guts, as it were, has been a great benefit to me, or at
least the projects I throw in my direction.

hehe... but I always feel a twinge of sympathetic pain when I see a
newbie starting out with raytracing.  It's a rough road and for me took
years to get even moderately skilled.

--
Stuff for POLYRAY, some raytraced images, and
DTA can be found at: