POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My contribution to watch collection [83k] : Re: My contribution to watch collection [83k] Server Time
4 Oct 2024 17:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My contribution to watch collection [83k]
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 7 Mar 1999 08:18:46
Message: <36E27D13.E67896EA@fv.aetec.ee>

> Very nice !
>
> You said that your watch was nearly entirely created with Rhino : Does it mean
> that your model is made of smooth_triangles ? In that case I just wonder the
> size of the script.
Do You mean the size of export files? Apporoximately 20 MB. It takes
quite long to parse, but rendering ain't too slow (51 sec. for parsing,
41 minutes for rendering with AA0.3, without AA it was ~6 minutes, on
300 Mhz PPro). Fortunately Rhino could export objects separately, so I
don't have to mess with big mesh files (yes, they are smooth triangle
meshes), only with main file, where textures, camera and lights are
described.

> I agree with Margus, the shell looks a bit too plastic : Higher diffuse,
> higher brilliance and specularity, lower ambient should do the trick.

Actually, I believe, that in order to get more realistic, shell should
be much more... ehm, dull? darker? oxidized?, as I haven't polished my
watch and it got quite ugly. I will try to improve shell, glass needs
more work too.

> Anyway, the spotlightbrings out the watch from the scene and the details are
> neatly done.
>
> Well done.

Thanks, that is what I've expected ;-)
Of course real PovRay snob could just script this watch, but I started
modeling of this watch as learning exercise of Rhino ("Well, it would be
good, if I try to model something, what it could be? Ah, lets take this
watch! Where is my ruler?") and now, after some time I can see that this
model is not as good as it could be, hopefully next model will be
better.