POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A thousand pardons... : Re: Thanks. Server Time
4 Oct 2024 17:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks.
From: Thomas Jespersen
Date: 6 Mar 1999 19:24:39
Message: <36E1C745.EC345A8@daimi.au.dk>
Anthony Bennett wrote:

> I'm not sure what slows the rendering down so much. I suspect it's the area
> lights, as the media renders pretty fast. The My_Stone texture is also quite slow
> rendering.

The stone texture is rather noisy, as already pointed out, if you are
using anti-alias on such noisy texture it can make the tracing much
slower, as the raytracer has to "shoot" a lot of rays into every pixel
to get the proper average color out of the noise.

There is no solution to that, except make a texture with less noise, and
that might be too big a trade-off to you, or use no antialias when
rendering..